View Single Post
Old 10-21-17, 07:46 AM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
There is a bit of a straight answer to it and a bit not....

18" might be a good middle ground? (eg. Birdy; Tyrell IVE)
If not, options for 1.75" or 2" might be a good thing to consider as well.

I am more of a value guy. I ran a bike shop for 30+ years and sold it to my son. I really like my 20" folders. I put Schwalbe 1.1" tires on my Dahon Mu d10. It is certainly much much harsher ride than the 2" tires it came with. The speed difference is significant also---way faster. I live in Montana --the 4th largest state in the US---I doubt any shop in the state has an 18" or 14" tire or tube in stock. But every one of them will have 406 tires and tubes.

I ride in the dark early mornings a lot. I ride my 26" mountain bike converted to an e bike at night with 2.1 smooth tires. I'm worried about bumps I don't see at night.

But as a tire seller I am totally into 406. The variety and price of 451 and the 16" and 18" tires are so limiting. All three of my folders are 406. (Swift, Mu d10, IGH 8 Mu).

Broken Pelvis man--12boy----Heal up---my mother broke her pelvis several years ago. The most connected bone in the body. Your torso moves with muscles and leverage from the torso and your legs also.--