Old 10-21-17, 02:44 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
My take: this was a near miss, not a right hook.
You're right, it was not your normal right hook.

See on the map I linked where the white line starts to curve with the turn to the right? We were already past that and off the line, sort of partway into the right turn lane, before we became aware that the car was right there. Maybe we weren't too far into that lane, but we were in it...if you look close you can see how far back it starts to veer off.

We were not hammering. In fact we were sort of just cruising along waiting for rider 3 - who was struggling on hills but riding a tri-bike so catching up on flats / downgrades - to catch up.

Don't get me wrong - I'm considering all the points being made and will take them to heart. I didn't really see the nature of the turn off too early since I was on the wheel of the lead rider. In the future I think all of us will be more wary of that kind of turn off, especially during high-traffic time.

The shores of Seneca Lake - as well as the other finger lakes - are littered with wineries, breweries, and even a couple distilleries. Might not make for the safest riding, but besides that one woman drivers seemed to be very aware and courteous of us yesterday.