Old 10-23-17, 08:47 AM
Pasty

Bikes: Trek FX 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
When one eats does matter in my experience. Eat a lot before bed and it doesn't get used for anything because the body is not doing much.

I think one important point is that every person has a different biology. Some do well on one big meal, some with a dozen tiny meals, others with other things. "Optimized" weight loss (which is itself a definable, not definitive, term) is generally found when the body is not shocked, ans long fasts can do ... because the body does indeed slow metabolism and tries to store fat when it thinks it is starving. (do some research about this. it is not some crazy internet invention. It is actually medical science.)

Obviously, if you don't eat at all, your body will consume itself ... and it may consume muscle, which really isn't optimal for anyone who wants an active life. For Most people, cutting carbs to the amount used as fuel and protein to the mount needed for tissue replacement, and some fats which the body actually needs as well .... gives the best results in terms of allowing people to have enough energy to live their lives normally while still losing weight.

Also, there is a question of willpower. Most people find it Extremely hard to fast for a couple days ... in part because the brain and body is screaming "I need food!" The brain and body are not screaming for ice cream or beer or candy ... just enough protein to replace lost tissue and carbs to fuel it's operation.

Realistically, a lot of people fast and binge .... they are starving (quite literally) and their brains and bodies tell them to replace what was lost.

Our bodies don't recognize the concept of healthy weight loss. Our brains and bodies tell us to replace what was burned each day. Our brains can also tell us to eat for other reasons, mainly emotion-based, but at its most basic a body is homeostatic---it wants to maintain. Deliberately undereating is unnatural.

What the original poster is doing sounds like a good plan. There is a wealth of information online form reputable sites about different weight-loss techniques. Most of them seem to include some food each day, but fasting is an option ... but it seems the OP has a good regimen already.

It serves no point for each of us to say "This worked for me" and then debate whether it is a valid method---it might not be, for any other living being, or it might be better than everyone else's method for everyone. None of us know.

I'd say the OP hardly needs our help, given what has been posted so far. Good luck, Pasty. You seem to be on top of things.
Thank you, Maelochs. I didn't anticipate how vastly different other people's diets could be. I will be looking to reputable sites for more information.

I agree that fasting is likely extremely hard for some people, it's not natural. Also, for anyone who doesn't know, when you fast your body takes nutrients from muscles first. Once your skeletal muscle cells are depleted of nutrients, the body turns to fat reserves. While doing this, your body also breaks down your own osseous tissue as it serves the biggest deposit of calcium in the body. This is why people who involuntarily are starving have little to no muscle definition and their bones can break quite easily. Fasting can work for some people, which as a nursing student, honestly still amazes me, but it's not healthy by any means.