Old 10-23-17, 04:54 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tobukog
So Bartek, aside from pedal tension, one of the reasons I really like the Shimano design over Look (and old Shimano) is that the front of an spd -sl cleat actually engages below the platform of the pedal. This design helps prevent the pedal from releasing when pulling back since the nose of the cleat will actually hit the pedal body when pulling directly back. So you really can't even make a direct apples-to-apples comparison about pedal tension of the two systems. Not that I would use speed plays, but that also can't really be compared.
I don't know the exact number of the max possible tension of the Shimano pedals. If it's good enough (16Nm for me but I know many people who uses 12Nm and are satisifed) then another factor is clearance. Look is not the best product here (compared to SPD-SL). As I use road bike as much as track bike (or even more) I decided to go with the Look as it's a way easier to walk with cleats and I do walk a lot to take pictures or get a coffee in mountains, so this is why I prefer Look over Shimano and didn't want to keep yet another system with another pair of shoes etc. For track only I would go with SPD-SL (as long as the tension is about 16Nm or maybe as you said for this system lower value is still enough).

Deeper rims are often considered stiffer than shallower rims.
I read an article where both theories were....correct. Shallower rims have longer spokes which also impact stiffness. I can't remember the final result but the article actually presented that it's easy to argue in one or another way