Old 10-23-17, 08:25 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by taras0000
I'm just going to say this. Just because the value of so.ething is unknown, doesn't invalidate it's properties. 1,2,3,4,X. X HAS A VALUE. To disregard it because you don't know it's value is leaving something on the table that can very well be useful. Before we had absolute values for things, we had relative comparisons. These comparisons are what became engineered values once there was a way to assign numbers to them. Before "engineering" we knew that bronze was in some ways better than wood, and iron was better than bronze. There were no numbers then; just experience.
As long as you have time and money to experience with various models of the similar products it's possible to base only on experience. Experience of using same item by different riders is relative. This is why it's better to base on absolute numbers (if possible).
Let's say the 16Nm is my minimum required tension for Look pedals. Then I would look up for spec of the Shimano pedals to get similar value if I would like to switch. Occasionally, it can be under or overrated as @tobukog mentioned about different way for cleat engaging. However, it's still a good start point, better than just "buy and try" IMHO.