Old 10-24-17, 07:11 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Whether I try something or not doesn't change the value of X in my previous example. I CAN use another rider's experience with equipment as long as that rider exceeds my equipment needs, and the equipment is not failing that rider. If Rider A is more powerful than Rider B, then Rider A's equipment choices will suffice for rider B, regardless of knowing the failure point of said equipment. That's how relative experience works.

Do you know the failure points of the bikes you purchase? What about the N/Degree of flexion that these frames can sustain? No. You and I and just about everyone else on this board has made many of their most expensive purchases based on the relative information that was received from others. That's why you started a thread asking other people's opinions on bikes that you didn't have any experience with.
This is true to a point, but what works for Rider A (more powerful) is not always a good choice for Rider B. Not trying to be nit picky, but there are difference between each rider. Now, if your looking for the strongest or most durable, then Rider A to B comparison will work. However, something that is better for Rider A, may be stronger, stiffer, etc and may work for Rider A as their weight gives it a different characteristic that may not be so good for Rider B. Think of shocks for vehicles. If I take the shocks off my 1 ton truck and put them on your passenger car, then they will not work well...they will be too stiff and not forgiving enough.

With bikes, with me weighing well over 200 lbs, my set up may be wary too harsh for a 150 lb rider and they may end up being slower as the bike is too twitchy and moves all over the track on them, which makes them slower in the end as "smoother is faster" and they can't be smooth on my bike. What is best for one track will not necessarily be best for another track due to track construction materials, radius of turns, bumps, etc.