Old 10-24-17, 10:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's impossible to fairly analyze a situation like this without being there.

However, given the gentle sweeping curve there, it's possible that you would have been OK if your friend hadn't reached at all.

The car was moving faster than you, as evidenced by the fact that passed, and shouldn't have need to slow for the turn, so even if it only cleared by inches, the gap would have been opening, not closing.

Otherwise, knowing I had a pace line behind me, I would have made the turn with the car, rather than braking hard.

For the record, I have sent bias against pace line riding on open roads. It's fine on closed courses, and even OK on long stretches free of intersections, but there are too many surprises otherwise. So maybe the right answer is to increase separation approaching intersections, and tighten back afterward.

BTW sometimes there is no solution that would avoid a crash, other than not being there at the time.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.