Old 10-24-17, 10:10 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
I don't necessarily disagree, but I will add that you only want to do this if there is a big gap in traffic, and the volume is relatively light. It can be dangerous to 'take the lane' when the speed differential between you and moving traffic is greater than 20 or 30 mph. The problem is that some drivers change lanes at the very last second, and if there are cars behind them, they may not have sufficient time to react to a cyclist in their path.

I would also suggest that when traffic volume is significant, the best approach is almost always to stop and cross at the 'mouth' of the off-ramp/diverging lane. Harder to do as a group, I know, but the length of time it takes a group to cross the gap without stopping is also working against you.
When volume is high and traffic speed is high, you have to negotitate for right of way to obtain it safely.

About 200 feet before the intersection, while still on the shoulder, stick out your left arm and look back. Someone will slow down to let you in. If your arm signal is assertive it should be the first or second car. Once they do slow, you move into the lane and they are "running interference" for you behind you. After you pass the diverge point, move back to the shoulder to allow traffic to pass.

I haven't had to stop to allow traffic to pass as you describe since I learned to reliably negotiate for right of way more than 15 years ago.