Old 10-24-17, 10:15 AM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
I agree. In this case though this happened so suddenly. In most of the right hooks I've experienced the car is slightly ahead of me and I can see it slow and I know what's going to happen. In this instance she never got into my forward field of view until she was already in the turn across our path...she literally just whipped a high speed veer and almost cut into us, and even went slightly off the road in the process. We were partially into the turn area - which due to the off-ramp nature of the turn was quite long. As soon as I became aware of the car in my peripheral vision she was turning in front of us - or at least that's what I remember feeling.

My guess is she whipped her turn in front of us at about 40-45mph, and had probably approached us from behind at 55-60 mph (the normal speed for the road we were on). If that turn has been a 90 degree turn it couldn't have unfolded at the speed that it did.

I do think there was misjudgement on our part in that we didn't adequately recognize the situation where someone could overtake us and turn in front of us at that speed, because I don't think we realized the nature of the turnoff until we were almost in it. The driver made a serious aggressive error, and we didn't see the potential for it.
As a bare minimum you have to look back and assess potential right hook situations as you approach each place where right turns may be made. In the Google street view it looks like a pretty standard diverge off the roadway. What was it about the nature of the turnoff that you didn't realize until you were almost on it? Sounds like you were just not paying attention, or you just don't have good safety practices ingrained in your habits. I suggest you take a CyclingSavvy class.

Last edited by Ninety5rpm; 10-24-17 at 10:21 AM.