Old 10-24-17, 10:55 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
It's impossible to fairly analyze a situation like this without being there.

However, given the gentle sweeping curve there, it's possible that you would have been OK if your friend hadn't reached at all.
FB - there was nothing gentle about the way this woman turned. She did not merge off, she was past 50% of that off-ramp area before she just accelerated and whipped a fast right in front of us. It's hard to explain. My perception is that when she passed in front of us I came within 3 feet of her, and the guy in the lead came within a foot of her. This was a much more aggressive maneuver than I think you're picturing based on how someone SHOULD drive that turn-off. She barely had room to complete her turn and was off the left shoulder of the exit area when she did. If we were five feet farther forward she would have turned right into the lead rider.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
So maybe the right answer is to increase separation approaching intersections, and tighten back afterward.
Good suggestion. And agree that maybe not riding so tight is a good idea. We were just riding that way at times, and at other times we'd space out.