Old 10-24-17, 11:07 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
As a bare minimum you have to look back and assess potential right hook situations as you approach each place where right turns may be made. In the Google street view it looks like a pretty standard diverge off the roadway. What was it about the nature of the turnoff that you didn't realize until you were almost on it? Sounds like you were just not paying attention, or you just don't have good safety practices ingrained in your habits. I suggest you take a CyclingSavvy class.
95 - in my case I think this is true. I'm used to riding solo, and at the time was the second rider and close on the wheel of the lead guy. I was also slightly to his left and so I didn't really get a good look at the intersection as we approached it.

The road at that spot was banked slightly left, and the turnoff was obscured a bit by that as well I think - although from overhead that's not obvious.

I do appreciate all the feedback. I wish I had this on camera so I could see it better instead of relying on my perception and recollection of the event which happened quickly.

One last thought - relating to what FB said and also relating to 95's comment about safety habits - is that if I was not so close on the wheel of the lead rider I most likely would have checked my mirror more frequently. Being on his wheel took some of the attention I'd normally devote to situational awareness. That might be the best lesson for me in this personally.