revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I was supposed to do a long ride yesterday. I developed a sore throat Tuesday and it was worse when I woke up yesterday...and the weather was absolutely perfect to ride. I had the good-angel-bad-angel thing going on while I drank my morning coffee, and decided against the ride. Even though it was the right decision, I was kicking myself.

I did about an hour at endurance pace this morning and felt really good. I'll see how I feel in the morning, might do the long ride tomorrow.
That was almost two weeks ago. My chest cold started breaking up the next day so I managed an hour at recovery pace rather than 1h:45 with intervals, was off the bike the next two days, got almost three hours at endurance pace the following day and almost two hours with 28 minutes' worth of threshold the next day.

I took two days to drive to DC, mainly to be there for the interring of my WWII vet uncle's ashes in Arlington National Cemetary on Friday. That was an impressive event - those Soldiers do that several times a day, six days a week, but there was no hint that it was a boring, rote performance. They're part of the "Old Guard", the 3d Infantry Regiment. And since they're infantrymen, some of them have been in combat and lost friends. The NCOIC was wearing a Combat Infantryman's Badge - only awarded to those infantrymen who have been in a combat theatre - and had overseas stripes indicating two deployments. It's no surprise they see this as a solemn duty.

After that, all the cousins - we grew up together on Long Island, then had jobs and families all over the country - hung out together and had a great time. We range in age from 58 to 73, but we definitely weren't acting our ages. Then I drove back home, arriving last night.

Nose back to the grindstone this morning...an hour at low endurance pace with 3x60" fast pedal intervals. I was supposed to be off work tomorrow but that changed, so I'll be riding with @Heathpack again. She'll probably drop me.

Demain, on roule!