Old 01-03-06, 02:19 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Solutions: Rain, sniffles, etc

As mentioned in another thread, when the temperature drops to the low 70's at night (when I ride), I have trouble with eyes watering and the sniffles. During the time I was trying to find solutions, another thread talked about advantages of wearing a cap - including cutting down how much wind gets in your eyes. Since one of my theories was that the cool air blowing into my eyes (mostly over the top of my glasses, it seemed to me), I thought a cap may help.

Today was my first chance to try it.

The temperature when I left was 72.4 - just a hair higher than what causes me a lot of trouble so I will post again when I have a colder day.

However, wearing the headsweat (with a bill like a cap) under my helmet did seem to cut a lot of wind out. My eyes didn't water the whole ride (56 miles while around 72 degrees and 17 more after sunrise when the air is warmer - and me riding slower by then - usually isn't an issue anyway.

No sniffles either. I did blow my nose once when stopped for a water break anyway, but it wasn't a major urge.

I also happened to get a fair amount of rain and the cap helped for that too. Normally I really don't like getting rained on, even though the rains here are generally pretty light. But I guess what bothers me the most must be rain in my face because, with the brim providing some protection, it really didn't bug me much at all, even though I was pretty well soaked.

While my glasses got wet, they did not get as spotty as is usually the case plus the brim cut down on the light hitting the glasses from streetlights, etc, so that even what spottiness was there was less obvious. In addition, my eyeglass mirror seemed to stay completely dry.

Of course, the brim also helped deal with headlights and later, the sun. I suppose it would help with insects too, but I rarely have issues with them.

That's a lot of benefits from simply having a cap or headsweat with a brim on it! Hopefully, even when it gets cooler, it will minimize my main problem (watering eyes and sniffles). I'm pretty much convinced it will at least help. Also nice is that anyone probably has a cap laying around they can try this with. A regular cap may be hotter, but for a test, it doesn't matter so much.

Only negative is that it seems to leave my hair wetter than it got when I used a normal headsweat. Can't understand why as, except for the bill, it seems to be about the same material.