Old 10-25-17, 12:46 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Welcome, Chef. I think a comfort-oriented hybrid is likely going to be the best match for you, but I would encourage you to try out a number of bikes at one of your local bike shops. I don't know the details of your hip replacement, but you might consider step-through type frames that don't require a leg extension up over the bike seat.

In terms of features, you're likely going to find bikes in this price range to be fairly similarly-equipped. Most will have a crankset with three chain rings in the front and likely either a 7-speed freewheel or an 8-speed cassette in the back. Most folks like trigger shifters (as opposed to twist shifters or grip shifters), but that's 100% a personal preference thing. I would recommend something with larger tires for comfort (generally, the larger the tire, the less air pressure you need in it to maintain good rolling resistance).

Bikes like the Trek Verve, Specialized Crossroads, and Specialized Roll are probably good places to start. These have upright geometry, pretty wide tires, and are available in step-through frames if you'd like that. There are many other hybrid models from which to choose, but I suggest those as good places to start your search. Most bike shops will carry one or both of those brands, and you usually have a pretty good selection in terms of frame sizes and types.