Old 10-25-17, 08:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Originally Posted by ktk90w
Yep, you all were right. The bottom bearings on the headset were damaged. I hadn't noticed that yet and that's why it was so hard to get the bearing adjustment correct. Some combination of the bad bearings, bent retainer, and slightly mis-adjusted headset caused the wobble I was seeing. I'm getting it put back together now, but it looks like the problem is solved.

Thanks for the help!
ktk

Not sure I agree with this yet. I don't think you've ridden the bike since this take apart if I read correctly. Damaged ball retainer is very unlikely to be any cause. Worn balls maybe, rusted ones not usually. "brinelled" bearing track, sure but not an if/then that's an always true. There are so many bikes with worn out headsets that don't shimmy so saying that you've found the problem before actually confirming it with an after service test ride is likely premature.

Now I'm not saying that the headset issues are not a problem unto themselves. They do need correction. BTW there's a strong chance every other bearing on this bike could use servicing. Andy.