Old 10-27-17, 02:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Assuming the bike light database comparisons are roughly accurate, the B&M Ixon Core appears to be roughly equivalent to a 250-300 lumen light.

The Ixon Core appears roughly comparable to my Serfas SL-255 at full output, or L&M Urban 500 at medium output (approx. 250 lumens). It's difficult to compare because the Serfas SL-255 is more of a spotlight, with a stronger central beam and weaker periphery, and some cutoff effect from the integral hood; the L&M is more evenly distributed, with no cutoff.

IMO, the L&M might be a better value, although if the battery run times are accurate the Ixon Core runs up to 4.5 hours on bright, with some decrease in brightness. That's pretty good.

The best way to get more bang for the buck is to buy more light than you need and run at medium. For example, my Urban 500 runs about 3 hours at medium or approx 250 lumens. I'd prefer about 300 lumens for typical city rides at night, so ideally I should have gotten the Urban 800 or brighter, to run at lower power and still have extra light for rural rides where I need to watch for deer and other critters.

If you're concerned about a light cutoff to avoid blinding oncoming cyclists and joggers/pedestrians, you can make one easily for the L&M Urban lights. I made one from a medium size white pill bottle made of HDPE. These are easy to trim to shape with scissors and a craft knife. Cut off the threaded end, leaving plenty of room to gradually trim down to size to fit the recess behind the lens on the Urban lights. If trimmed properly it will snap securely into place and hold on through rough roads. Trim the bottle barrel to expose half. Cut off the bottom. Put black tape across most of the top of the hood to shield your eyes.

The homemade hood will shape the beam with a strong center and cutoffs at the sides to minimize glare for pedestrians, joggers, cars in opposite lanes, oncoming cyclists on narrow MUPs, etc. And it enhances side visibility -- from the sides it looks like the glow of a roughly 20-40 watt frosted light bulb. Much better visibility than the yellow ports alone on the L&M Urbans. And from the front the overall light pattern appears much larger, enhancing visibility to cars.

I've asked neighbors and drivers about the effect since making this homemade hood and all commented very favorably. I'm much more visible, and my neighbors aren't blinded when I passed them at night.

Also take a look at the new Serfas E-Lumes. I know a couple of local folks who use 'em and they're very satisfied. I'm considering one of the more powerful dual LED models for my nighttime rides, especially on rural roads. Not sure about adapting a homemade hood to the E-Lume or whether it's even necessary.