Old 10-27-17, 12:54 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5883 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 1,520 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
What I have learned and take away from this thread is I should "take the lane" on a two lane road with "normal" speeds of 55-60 mph, even while there is a wide and very serviceable shoulder on which I could ride. I do this by waving my arm, or some other semaphoric-type gesticulation of the arms, torso, and head.
By doing so I control the circumstance, I control the traffic pattern/flow, and I control the motorists' driving, even controlling their intentions. Everyone understands these actions and in so doing, I improve safety to such an extent that it is no longer even a concern.

Pity the foolish neophytes on here that do not recognize the invaluable service these safety experts provide.

And I'm glad God gave me a brain that does something other than control bodily functions, such as, allow critical thinking, ability to analyze situations, and the ability to separate BS from useful information using good ole common sense.
I posted some suggestions earlier, not of the formulaic "take the lane" type, but feel I need to add that IMO there are no "rules" and it's always about the situation.

That said, staying on the shoulder in a situation like yours has a specific risk that it puts you to the right of likely right turning traffic. This is the same whether you're on the shoulder or the right side of the right lane. It also leaves you vulnerable to drivers who look at the situation and assume you'll continue on the shoulder and follow it to the right, rather than leave the shoulder and go straight.

So, that's the situation and the risks for you to be aware of and manage. There are various options and the best depends on the details. If main road traffic is heavy and fast moving, you might continue on the shoulder making the turn, than once in the lighter flow, cross that road, and take the opposite shoulder back to the main road. Or you might wait for a decent opportunity, move into the traffic lane and continue straight.

There's a road near me with a similar situation except that the main road is 4 lanes. As I approach the ramp, I move to the center of the right lane (take the lane) then as the lane widens forming the ramp, move left so that right turning traffic can move over and pass me on the right. Then I steer for the right side of the lane past the split. This allows maximum flow of traffic wishing to pass, and the occasional right lane non-exiting car is only affected for a few seconds.

My point is that there's no single answer. Your job is to be aware of the implications of every situation, recognize the potential risks, and figure out the right approach based on the SPECIFIC conditions at the moment. What works once, may not be right the next time, so you can't fall into the trap of a single right approach.

Also, keep in mind what your lane position and conduct may mean to drivers approaching. Put yourself in behind their wheel and imagine what they may assume and do based on that.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.