Thread: Today I (v2):
View Single Post
Old 10-27-17, 05:48 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
A link to his activity showed up under mine when I finished. I'm guessing we were just linked up long enough that it registered us as riding together.
That means you spent 30% of your ride within 50 metes of him. Strava considers that a group ride and links your rides together.

How they figure out flyby and group rides is interesting. They use three metrics:
  • Correlation (C) is the amount of time riders spent near each other. "Near" means within 50 meters. If you are within 50 meters for 30% of your ride then you rode together AKA group ride. That's when you get "Seau grateau rode with three other people" and so forth.
  • Spatial Correlation (S) is route similarity without considering time or speed. Two riders on the same course will have high spatial correlation even if they rode it at different times and speeds.
  • Distance traveled (D)
C, S and D are given scores from 1 to 100 and then all the riders are ranked in descending order on the flyby page.

It is marked as a "flyby" if you were within 50 meters but only briefly (low correlation).

I wish the values were adjustable.

-Tim-