Old 01-03-06, 04:49 PM
TheRCF
Da Big Kahuna

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seely
I find this amusing, because I have the same problem when it drops below 30/40deg. However, best thing for the eyes is plenty of eye protection, something a bit oversized is best, a lot even use safety goggles. The sniffles, well, I think thats just something you have to deal with more or less, and is best aleviated by applying the terry cloth patch on the back of your glove to the underside of your nose.
A lot of it will vary from individual to individual as to how cold it needs to be before they are affected - as well as the weather they are used to. First winter riding here I don't ever recall having the sniffles problem. Last two years I have. I'm sure a large part of that is just adjusting to things here and since they are generally warm, even a little coolness affects me now.

I just have regular glasses, though they are bigger lenses than average. But on a road bike, the head position fairly easily lets too much air over the top. That wind, especially when cool (it seems), makes the eyes water. There is a direct connection between the eyes and nose so that when your eyes water or you cry, some of it goes into the nose, causing sniffles. So it seemed logical that rather than deal directly with the sniffles, go to what may be the ultimate cause - the eyes watering.

I'm looking forward to trying this when it is back down to normal temps for this time of year to see how well it works then. Perhaps it can't deal with problems down where your temps are (but might help), but it will help some people at least and the brim has those other advantages.

Now that I have found some advantage to this, it also seems natural that there should be some sort of clip-on device for regular glasses just to direct the air so it doesn't enter the top of them.