Old 11-01-17, 06:54 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by KDTX
Hi all

After reading a recent weight loss thread, most comments tend to yield great results from quitting alcohol. It has been a while since I have been training and would like to get back into race shape.

I really think I could benefit from cutting back on the beers, casual drinking, etc. Right now, instead of grabbing water or tea with dinner, it's a beer. Then a few beers on Friday night, and then a few more on Saturday night, then off course there is Sunday Football with the buddies. It seems like this viscous cycle continues. Obviously, then when the beers go in, fried food, pizza, chicken wings go in.... You get the point.

I'd like to ask how others have cut back/quit etc. and what works for you.
While I used to drink 2 beers a night
1. I stopped having any the night before VO2max Mondays (usually 3x10 or 4x10 at 110% of FTP, but I still liked the alliteration) because those can cause nausea and skipping beer made them feel less bad.
2. I stopped having any before Threshold Thursdays (95% for 1:00-1:15) because I had high hopes after abstaining made VO2Max Mondays feel better. I felt fresher and kept at it.
3. I stopped having any before Not Short Saturdays (3-5 hours) and found that gave me more energy.
4. I was waking up better rested for my morning rides before sunrise those three days a week, so I skipped beer on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday night too. I also woke up better rested those days.
5. I felt two beers more Saturday night than I used to, that became one, dropped to half I didn't feel, and I now go months without having any.

Also, what process do you go through when the buddies want to meet at a sports bar to watch the game?
I quit having any beers when driving in my 20s. A couple friends lost their licenses, two beers got me within a hair's breadth of Colorado's 0.05% Driving While Ability Impaired law, and I decided it wasn't prudent - I suspected one English pint of west coast style IPA or American strong ale would be enough to cross that limit.

Everyone accepted a simple no answer to "Do you want a beer" when I was driving, and did the same regardless of how I got to where I was socializing.

I also agree with FB about limiting oneself to better food which is more satisfying in smaller quantities.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 11-01-17 at 07:18 PM.