View Single Post
Old 11-03-17, 06:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by punkinevil
That's the Goldman Sachs building. They surround the whole building and I think they were privately funded by GS. I think the cost of putting retractable ones at every intersection would be way too high. I'm also not sure how that would affect the Parks Department access. Personally, I find those make that particular intersection even more challenging, and I'd rather not have more along the way. The whole incident certainly has left me shaken, but I will continue to ride that route about 3 times each week. I might go tomorrow... maybe Friday. As horrible as this whole event is. I will not change how I live and ride. You know, there is a ghost bike right there at Chambers. You can see it in some of the scene photos. The woman who was killed there was hit by a turning truck less than an hour after I rode by about 2 years ago. It's sobering every time I pass it, and it reminds me to be vigilant but I ride it anyway. Essentially, I'm just saying be aware but don't let this sort of thing scare you into giving up part of your life. Sorry that this post veered off. Back to the subject: I think bollards will create more problems than they will solve on the Hudson Greenway.
Goldman Sachs new headquarters building is publicly financed (over 100 million tax credits, over 1 billion in loans). The original plans for the HQ didn’t include the greenway.

The bollards there were not designed for the greenway and the greenway was force fitted through them.

Anyhow, there are rational alternatives in design, even bollards, that would not present a huge everyday risk to people on bikes. There are rational alternatives in design, even bollards, that can provide access to park vehicles but exclude other traffic.

An article from Gothamist, what’s currently left of it, on the matter.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 11-03-17 at 06:45 AM.