Old 11-04-17, 12:31 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3795 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 798 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462
in New Jersey, the law specifically states:

"39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law."

As I understand this means that taking the lane is illegal. I'm not saying that it is not the safe thing to do at times, but nonetheless it is illegal
Your state law is written basically the same as mine; it's not illegal to take the lane, it says so right in the excerpt you posted.

How do understand it to be illegal?