Old 11-06-17, 02:10 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
I'm glad you mentioned wind. Truly, wind is more likely to stop me from riding than any other weather condition. It takes your strength away and it can even drive you mad. I once literally went sideways on an icy road due to a 50 mph crosswind. I never dreamed that going sideways on a bicycle was even possible! Fortunately, there were no cars out due to the icy conditions. I made it home safely, with an interesting memory, while those motorists were too scared to even come out of the driveway. (Maybe they had interesting memories of what they watched on TV that night?)

Luckily, wind has much less effect on walking, so I can just leave the bike at home if I don't like the wind speed.
We get strong Santa Ana winds here that will almost stop your forward progress. Once on a rather long ride with friends from out local mountains to the beach I ran into a head wind on the way home. Almost 60 miles with wind in the face. There were times when my average speed was 4 mph. I have not tried such a ride in the wind since.