Old 11-06-17, 07:17 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by GaryDGullett
So, I went to one of the LBS yesterday. The goal was to check out inventory and seek help getting fitted for a decent road bike. Like I've done here, I explained that I'm new to the bike world and thought about getting something in the 800-1000 range since many have suggested my budget may be too high. Find a bike in that range , ride it and figure out what I like and don't like. Maybe even find a deal on CL. The shop was a dealer for Giant and Cannondale.

Adam, the salesperson, was very nice and helpful but steered me to the Cannondale Synapse. Aluminim frame, disc brakes, CF fork and ?I think the 105 as well. Nice bike priced at $1600. I didn't get a chance to try it as they were very busy and I was a little limited on time. He felt I needed a 54cm bike. I sit on it and it felt a little cramped. Would have liked to have gotten the feel for a 56cm.

But all in all it seemed like a good bike. I also asked about the CAAD 12 as someone else here suggested. He states it was more of a racier bike with a geometry geared toward those riders and he didn't feel it was the best bike to start with due to my lack of experience.

Anyone have any feedback on this particular bike? Likes, dislikes? Should I be looking somewhere else? Did I get good advice?

I'm sorry I havent responded to every post here directly but I'm definitely taking everything into consideration and appreciate everyone's help.
Other than the fact that the salesman put you on a bike that is almost twice what you said you wanted to spend, he didn't steer you wrong. But it is up to you to decide if this bike fits you and if you are willing to spend that kind of money on a first bike. Without doubt, if you are going to be doing a lot of riding, it is worth it to spend the extra money on an 11 speed drivetrain, lighter weight, through axles and disc brakes. that said, you might be almost as happy with a 9 speed drivetrain, and rim brakes for under $1,000.