View Single Post
Old 11-08-17, 10:02 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you follow Sram's recommended cassette ranges for 2x (officially max 11-32 for road) you get very nearly the same range with either the 1x or the 2x setup, with the 2x setup having considerably tighter ratios between gears. Also, for what it's worth, the clutch rear derailleur on the long cage 1x derailleur has the benefits of having great chain retention at the cost of somewhat higher shift effort. An advantage of the 1x setup is you can get lower gearing simply by swapping out the chainring.

For touring on Sram road I'd probably get a GX 10 speed rear derailleur (which will work with Sram road 11 speed shifters) and pair it to a 11 speed 11-40 cassette, ideally with 48/32 chainrings (only on a few cranks, like Praxis and some new FSA adventure stuff). I'd want a very low gear for loaded touring and also extended mountain rides (combined with a reasonably high gear for road descents) and the somewhat tighter ratios than the 10-42 would provide.

Either way is pretty good. I really like the feel of the Sram road shifters (though some don't). I like the Shimano road hydraulic brakes a bit better.