Old 11-13-17, 08:56 AM
Big Wally

Bikes: Roubaix Comp, Cutthroat Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2017 Roubaix Comp 56 impressions

I've had my 2017 Roubaix Comp 56 for 6 weeks/1000+ miles. FWIW I'm 5'10", 31" inseam and the 56 fits me very well. Didn't even intend to buy a new bike (old one was waiting on hub parts at LBS) but the 75 mile demo ride across 2 afternoons impressed me so much I bought the demo bike at a nice end-of-season discount. Soooo much less physical discomfort everywhere - lower back, sit bones, neck, and shoulders compared to my well-worn 2005 Sequoia Elite. And no numbness anywhere. I estimate 85-90% less overall discomfort, no exaggeration. It has made riding a pleasure again instead of a pain (pun intended). I even test rode an Elliptigo in search of a less painful exercise solution but it just wasn't for me.
The bike tracks straight, pedals easily and climbs well. The "bobbing" when climbing folks have asked about does occur but is not distracting or destabilizing in any way for me. IE its a non-factor on the negative side and a huge plus on the positive. The dual seat post technologies work pretty seamlessly. On bigger hits I can sense the compliance but if I didn't know it was there and how it works I surely couldn't tell you what its doing.
OEM Turbo Pro 26's lasted ~1500 miles (estimated due to unknown Demo miles, I put on 1155) and I just replaced them with 28mm Conti GP 4Season's for the cold weather months. Max spec tire width is 32mm but I personally think 28 is plenty of width and for warm season riding I'll probably go back to 26s or 25s. The bike has enough compliance that increasing tire width in search of more compliance is unnecessary IMHO.
While I cringed at the price (even discounted, yes I'm tight) I have to say this bike is much more than I imagined a bike could be. Tried to upload a pic but I'm a noob here and apparently don't have the required permission yet. Maybe later.