Old 11-13-17, 09:31 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Here's a nice writeup of Glaetzer's sub-minute kilo - and its historical context.

To me, the other big story of this World Cup set (Pruszkow and Manchester) was Jenn Valente's omnium silver and gold. I looked back at the Pruszkow results - she wound up finishing only a couple points behind Wild at the end of it. She had kind of a bad elimination, got boxed in and finished 7th. A couple higher places could have made the difference in the end, in the omnium. [also NB, Wild got relegated in one sprint she won for a pretty egregious blue band violation)

I wonder about her world-class level race experience - how much she's had. She certainly has the horsepower to compete. Whatever her ride in Pruszkow, she definitely put it together for Manchester - Won the scratch, Tempo, 2nd in the elim, and sealed the omnium win in the points race against a very strong Katie Archibald. Beating her is no joke.

It looks like Valente is filling hammer's shoes and opening up some room for mass start racing in the next olympic cycle. Not sure how many people Team USA can send for endurance track stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if Team USA looks for another team pursuit member with whom Valente can ride the madison. That certainly ups the potential medal count!