Old 11-13-17, 10:01 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
I wonder about her world-class level race experience - how much she's had. She certainly has the horsepower to compete. Whatever her ride in Pruszkow, she definitely put it together for Manchester - Won the scratch, Tempo, 2nd in the elim, and sealed the omnium win in the points race against a very strong Katie Archibald. Beating her is no joke.

It looks like Valente is filling hammer's shoes and opening up some room for mass start racing in the next olympic cycle. Not sure how many people Team USA can send for endurance track stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if Team USA looks for another team pursuit member with whom Valente can ride the madison. That certainly ups the potential medal count!
Valente's been groomed for this for several years. At Jr. Worlds in 2011 she won the Sratch and took bronze in the Keirin. She has at least 6 years of world-class race experience. You know, and that Olympic silver medal from Rio She has also been coached by world-class coaches for a long time, including the famous coach out of the LA Velodrome that passed away a few years ago (his name escapes me right now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Valente

Team:

Individual:

I can't name another modern US cyclist that has experienced so much success at 22 years old. Maybe Phinney?