Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
on Bike Choices and why Giant

Originally Posted by MRT2
But a true mountain bike will suck for roads and paved trails. If that is what you do 80% of the time or more, I say go for the Toughroad, or maybe the AnyRoad.

BTW, why are you so locked onto Giant? Nothing wrong with them as they are a fantastic manufacturer, but most folks pick the type of bike first, then narrow it down to 3 or 4 similar models from different brands. You seem to be checking out the entire showroom of a Giant dealer.
So, I looked at many brands, and types.. Raleigh, Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, Diamondback and Giant..

At first, I knew I wanted a bike.. But didn't know what I was going for.. I knew I didn't want a strictly Road Bike.. But wasn't sure if I wanted to go full Mountain.. so.. I looked at some comfort Bikes.. various brands.. and they were ok.. But I kinda wanted "more".. I had been so out of the loop for years that I didn't understand components and why someone would want one over the other.. so.. I began researching and studying all of the diff types and level of quality.. IE: Shimano Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, SLX, XT and Sram's line.. I stuck with the Mountain Bike gearing rather than learn much about Shimano 105, Tiagra etc.. Because I wanted hearty gears that could do some trails if need be.. and gearing for inclines if I wanted. Plus.. Rim vs Mechanical Disc vs Hydraulic Disc Brakes.. Then learned about 1X 2X 3X cranks and why people chose them.. I am fine with a decent 3X crank..
I definitely set on FlatBars.. and Id like to be under $1k.. I want Hydraulic Disc brakes.. atleast Acera Grade Components.. and though I want to Mod out the Bike.. I don't want to be in a rush to.. so as I grow in cycling, I could upgrade when I feel I want that bit extra.. when the difference would actually matter..

What really sold me on Giant was.. Giant's Bikes seemed to have most of what I want at prices that seemed to beat out brands like Trek.. and Treks are made at Giant's Factory.. Treks are great bikes.. but every bike of Trek that I found that fit what I wanted.. was over $1k..
Lots of shops around here have tons of Giants for me to look at..

My buddy this weekend bought a Giant Talon 3 which is a great deal for the $520 he paid.. I rode it and it is nice..
Though the Talon is def a strict Mountain bike..

I test Rode the Giant Toughroad SLR 1 today.. and dude.. Holy **** that bike is Light.. I know Carbon road bikes are lighter.. But.. Yo.. haha less than 25lbs.. and even with those big Tires on it, it rides well.. after talking with the people at the store, the guy showed me a bunch of things I could do with the bike later if I wanted to mod it out.. and there are suspension options out there from Rockshox if I wanted to go that route later.. Plus The frame can handle both 27.5/29er wheels/tires.. So If I found myself riding trails more.. I could transform it into a pretty capable hardtail... Im just blabbering a bit now.. but I like options..
the mods Id consider sooner would be a 3X Crank geared with a Bigger Cog like 48 or 50 tooth big cog while maintaining having a mid to high 20's tooth small cog IE: 48/36/26 crankset.. Shimano Deore has a couple choices(not right away)
Id prob also switch to a Deore Shadow rear Derailer(still down the road a bit)
Switching the seat to a Cloud 9(comfy as hell).. Maybe Handlebar ends like the fastroad has..
When I am done.. the Bike will be like a fat wheeled Fastroad SLR1 haha.. Not as quick.. But not much slower either.

I hope I answered thorough enough without going in too many directions