View Single Post
Old 11-14-17, 07:35 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
I don't know, Abe. And if you read what was happening in this thread, you'd notice that a lot of people who were incensed by my post in the beginning came around to my way of thinking later. Dr. Pete is the best example. He did a complete 180. At some point, the thread became a gallery to watch people who had the same reaction as you did eventually agree with me.

I still remember that ride 11 years later, and I remember the guy who was doing the most damage. We tried to slow down and talk to him and ask him to leave the rotation, but he said it was a public park and that he could do what he wanted. While that's true, you wouldn't simply walk up to someone else picnic area, eat their food, and start kicking their campfire around? But basically, that's what he was doing. So we pulled him off the back and lost him.

As for the others who question, the 30mph comment:
I remember seeing 30 on my Garmin a lot. That's good enough for me. Even if our average was 27, it was still dangerous to have a knucklehead in the line.
In your OP you did not disclose that the rider whom was grabbed at speed and forcibly removed from the line was previously asked to leave. That changes things - a bit.

Regardless. I initially did not take issue with the entirety of your post. Some of your rules had varying degrees of value as tips/best practices in a paceline. My issues were:

The yelling
The physical removal of someone at speed
The comical repeated claim of “we’re not elitist”