Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 55murray
By the way, this is impressively hardcore. Do you have a plan for when the ride is not just difficult, but impossible? You are in NE Indiana and winter is nigh...
Hey, thank you! Maybe for some seasoned riders my commute would be a breeze (unintentional pun) but for me it's been the biggest physical challenge of my life so far.

I don't have a plan but it has been on my mind a lot as we're approaching winter. Fortunately for our family, I am the only one with a lengthy commute - my wife works either .9 miles or 5 miles from home (couple locations) and the further location is on the bus route. My daughter is 1 mile from her school and when it's THAT bad, well, they close schools anyway.

I have a coworker who is looking to offload some mountain bikes he saved from the dump at a jobsite. I may get one or both of them and outfit them with studded tires.

I have a standing offer with another coworker/friend who lives within 2 miles of me to hitch a ride if needed. I have taken advantage of his kindness on 3 windy afternoons and one where I was just too sick to ride.

Oh, yeah - I almost forgot that I can work remotely if needed, just have to take the laptop home the evening before. :-)

I'm sure there are some folks here that deal with winters worse than ours - any Minnesota cyclists hanging around? I have read that Minneapolis has a pretty big cycling population, many of them year-round, but I don't know of any real person from there. Not to disparage any other good examples, Minneapolis is just the first city that came to mind, and the one I remind myself of when I'm feeling cold (when it's still above freezing here).