genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Try two or more lights, front and rear. Helps drivers quickly estimate your position, distance, speed, etc.

At a minimum I use a headlight and taillight on my road bike, and another to-be-seen set of lights on my helmet.

On my errand bikes, which I ride more often at night, I have two sets of head and tail lights.
Agreed... while this is still no guarantee, this too is what I did for years on dark high speed roads (45MPH+) ILTB also did something similar, but I believe he had at least a reliable shoulder to use.

Don't skimp on the lighting... you want to be seen... you want them to go "huh, what's that... " and slow down.

I would go with high/low lighting... one high, at helmet or backpack level (and make sure it is not aiming "up" but back) and one low, at about seat or rack height. And then add one more, a steady light, perhaps yellow.

So the other two can be flashing, and probably some odd pattern... like a PB super flash or something similar... (better), with the third as a steady light.

Do not rely on "blinkies" for something like this... get some decent rechargeable lighting. I used Nite Rider lights... and before they came out, I used three "Belt Beacons" mounted on an aluminum plate... three yellow lights mounted in a triangle with an odd flashing pattern.

At one time, briefly, I also used a "lost at sea" strobe... (hey, bike lighting at the time was quite primitive...) which while bright, had it's own issues when I was in really dark places... it made the road flash and made things a bit confusing for me.

Bottom line, think Alien Mother Ship...

Reflective stripes are a good idea too... especially on crank arms, and anywhere facing aft. (I also put that stuff on my helmet).