Old 11-14-17, 11:02 PM
warek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can I upgrade my brakes? I cant stop downhill.

Hi there

I bought a second hand 25-35-year-old Reynolds 531 Super Tourist frame and fork touring/commuting bike. It was originally 27-inch wheels. I had S and S couplers added, and upgraded it with mtb triple cranks, 32 spoke velocity deep V 700 c wheels, Brooks B17 saddle, Shimano dual pivot road brakes, with long reach arms, rear tubus rack ortlieb rear panniers a front handlebar bag.

I weight about 95 kg or 200 lbs and found on my first lightly laden tour that down most significant hills I was unable to slow the bike to a complete stop. I applied the brakes heavily at the top to keep the speed to below 25 mph or 40 kmh and could not come to a complete stop until the hill gradient levelled out. Brake pads are good, callipers centred over the aluminium rims, weather conditions dry, road was sealed and tyres good 28 mm continental GP 4000S

There were 3 other cyclists in our tour who all rode down the hill much faster than I did and stopped without any difficulty. Two with road bikes with dual pivot brakes and one on a Giant hybrid with V brakes.

My question is can I upgrade my bike braking and is it cost effective or should I buy a new touring bike such as Trek 520 disc, Surly Disc LHT, or Kona Sutra, Vivente World randonneur etc

I did think about taking it to a frame builder getting V brake mounts welded onto the old frame and then re powder coating and changing brake levers etc as one option. I thought about buying new disc wheels and upgrading to cable brake system. I have several sets of heavy duty wheels, in good condition designed for rim brakes.
I imagine that SS couplers with a cable joiner on the rear brake, will have some effective on brake efficiency, but it is dangerous as it is.

Thanks for any suggestions?

Cheers

Kevin