Old 01-04-06, 11:25 AM
craigery

Bikes: Trek 2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need some advise on what to do.

I have a Trek 2000. I really like the bike and I just finished rebuilding the bike. I made a boo-boo and a couple peices of the frame broke off where the seat post goes in. I got a new seat and raised the seat post to where I needed it, tightened it down, hopped on(on the trainer) pedaled three time and CRACK! the seat post was at a 45 degree angle backwards from where it is supposed to be. Now here is my question. I took it to my LBS and he said it was safe, I just need a longer seat post. I believe him because it looks safe to me. I just wanted to hear it from him. Then he mentioned that I should take it over to the trek dealership(a different LBS) and try to get a warranty claim on the frame without telling them that it was my fault. So I took it there and showed them. They said they will need to hang on to the bike and file a claim and it might take a week. I was bummed that they needed to hang on to the bike because I have the longer seat post and I NEED to ride. So it might be two weeks before I ride again. If they have it for a week and then another week or two for the frame to come in. Then I will have to transfer all the components onto the new frame. Should I just keep the frame I have and ride with the longer seat post or should I get a new frame and transfer everything over? The frame I have now is probably a early 90's frame, so it would be worth more, I'm assuming. What do you guys think?