Old 11-15-17, 10:54 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Simple repairs are not necessarily quick, small or of minimal effort. If one to patch this the offending area would need a lot of prep. The boss would have to be either removed or the raised portion ground down flush with the rest of the tube, that because of the cracks isn't a nice straight 2 dimensional surface any longer. Additionally the second boss should be considered. A truly effective and long lasting patch would encompass this boss too. The patch would wrap around much of the tube, perhaps all and become a sleeve of sorts (splitting it to install of course). Only after a real paint removal and very careful judgment would I want to be more specific.

A patch is so simple that to do it well is not as easy as some would think.

I am not advocating to repair but if that path were chosen it's not unreasonable with good methods. Much of what I've read here isn't quite to that level yet. Andy