Old 11-17-17, 03:59 PM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 193 Posts
I am not that old, but as a kid I worked on old Schwinn bikes on one of those old bike stands that you set the bike on the bottom bracket and clamp around the down tube with everyman tools, and it was okay. I didn't know what I was missing really. The day I used a Park Stand with a seat tube clamp was a revelation. So I think that it was definitely worth it for me for purchase, but again I didn't know I ever needed it originally. I also think the Park truing stand is nice and well thought out, and I like owning one of those too, it's holistic and medicinal for me.

BUT, I'm going to agree with Oddjob here, the greatest gift is good lighting. I often work out of an unpowered shed, and night falling was a curfew to working on bikes. My wife and Brother-In-Law bought me a solar LED setup for my birthday this year and I can sneak out there again after everyone is in bed now. That is extremely rewarding.

Also lots of ME's here, me too.

Last edited by mechanicmatt; 11-17-17 at 08:49 PM.