Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
that outside wear is minimal.
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I agree with the above. The rollers tend to wear from the inside out.
On a Connex with 2500kms, i find a roller diameter of 7.71mm, compared to 7.75 on a new chain (which happens to be exactly the nominal diameter -- so measurements appear to be reasonably accurate)

.04 mm over 114 links is 4.65 mm, which is almost exactly the amount of stretch exhibited by the chain. I am NOT saying that roller wear translates into stretch, but rather that roller wear (the outside diameter) is not trivial. it appears to be quantitatively quite similar to inner wear.

This being said, this is one observation. Maybe my chain is supportive

---

It would be interesting if several members of this community could share their measurements. Using a decent digital caliper, measure the outside diameter of a roller from used chain, and it's stretch. Then get the nominal dimensions, or better, measure the brand new chain that you have purchased in advance of chain replacement. compare the chain total stretch to the number of links times the rollers' diameter difference.

Maybe these measurements will show a significant difference between inner and outer wear. (Actually, there should be some variance, induced by the type of terrain)

Last edited by gauvins; 11-20-17 at 05:48 PM.