Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Huh??

Nice bike. Sounds like you totally scored. I brought up Argos a couple months back on another thread to see if anyone remembered them.

I do remember them. A knew 2 or 3 guys that had Argos bikes circa late 70s and early 80s. They must have had a distributor in norcal. They were nice pro level racing bikes and frankly a significant step up from an International in quality -- as much as I like those.
The fellow I got this from purchased it recently from a shop in the Bay area. It has an etched CA bike license number on the BB. Frankly, it completely disrupted my intention from when I started my little shopping adventure. The finish quality is right up there with my 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, and my 1977 Raleigh Team Pro. I expect it will be a blast to ride on days when I feel strong and up to dealing with a 2 x 6.

Frankly it astonishes me that Argos is renowned for their refinishing, but seemingly completely off the radar when it comes to their build quality - which based on a sample of one (admittedly a hazardous thing), seems very top-notch.

At any rate, I am quite pleased to have it - despite the wrench it throws in my intended path. Perhaps a couple other people will appreciate it when I make adjustments in my little fleet and they pick up what gets passed on to make room.