Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
This is where the hypothesis (i.e. suggested phenomenon) of planing could be posed as an explanation. The idea is, what could be different between two bikes with identical geometry, setup and contact point locations? One answer is that the frame in one bike is transferring energy to the road better than the other one, enabling better speed and responsiveness in a wide range of riding conditions. This has been discussed widely on other sites. The theory is that thinner-gauge frame tubes flex a little more under pedaling stresses (the downstrokes) and spring back at the two bottom positions. When the frame releases its energy the BB shell rotates in the horizontal plane so the crankset is pulled forward, with the result of applying tension in the chain. This of course would add to the propulsion energy applied to the ground, if this suggested explanation is right (planing is not my idea, but the above is my idea of how it could work).

In Bicycle Quarterly there have been articles over the past five or so years documenting riding results that support that planing exists and that it most likely works as above, but I haven't seen really detailed testing at the level of a frame.

Sorry for the long detour, but I'm trying to suggest a performance improvement that is independent from fit, as Carbonfiberboy suggests. I suppose I should start another thread if there's much discussion of this point here.
Unfortunately for this theory, the fastest (for me) single bikes have been very stiff carbon. However our steel CoMotion tandem feels faster to us than did an aluminum Cannondale, supposedly a stiffer bike, which felt "dead" to us. Though I've talked to and ridden with tandem teams riding Calfees and suspect that a Calfee would feel (and be) even faster.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 11-23-17 at 08:16 AM.