edelay

Bikes: Dahon Curve D8 (Sturmey Archer X-RF8), Crius Smart 3.0 5 speed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by newblue
Hello,

I'm looking for a folding bike for a specific purpose and I have a limited budget to work with. I want to commute, with a change of clothes/lunch/etc. in backpack or pannier, about 6 hilly miles in the morning, and fold the bike for a pretty crowded subway ride home in the evening. Basically I don't want to do my commute home riding in the dark. I've tried it and don't like it so I had the bright idea of riding in the morning only. I'm looking for a used folding bike for this and want to keep the price below $250 if possible.

Today I saw an older, maybe 2008, Downtube 9FS for sale for around $200. My concern with it is: no brazeons for a rear rack, and would the suspension parts still be good after 10 years? Or would I just be getting myself into an expensive maintenance situation.

Or should I pass on the Downtube and just wait for a Dahon or Citizen with fenders and a rack to appear on CL or eBay?

Thanks for any advice!
I commute mostly with a backpack. It is a little sweaty, but I shower after both rides. For riding a train home, a backpack would likely be easier to handle that a pannier when having to also carry the bike.

I see a Citizen folding bike on the Washington DC Craigslist with fenders and a rack for only $100. 6 speed.

Last edited by edelay; 11-27-17 at 06:29 PM. Reason: things and stuff