Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
This is where the hypothesis (i.e. suggested phenomenon) of planing could be posed as an explanation. The idea is, what could be different between two bikes with identical geometry, setup and contact point locations? One answer is that the frame in one bike is transferring energy to the road better than the other one, enabling better speed and responsiveness in a wide range of riding conditions. This has been discussed widely on other sites. The theory is that thinner-gauge frame tubes flex a little more under pedaling stresses (the downstrokes) and spring back at the two bottom positions. When the frame releases its energy the BB shell rotates in the horizontal plane so the crankset is pulled forward, with the result of applying tension in the chain. This of course would add to the propulsion energy applied to the ground, if this suggested explanation is right (planing is not my idea, but the above is my idea of how it could work).

In Bicycle Quarterly there have been articles over the past five or so years documenting riding results that support that planing exists and that it most likely works as above, but I haven't seen really detailed testing at the level of a frame.

Sorry for the long detour, but I'm trying to suggest a performance improvement that is independent from fit, as Carbonfiberboy suggests. I suppose I should start another thread if there's much discussion of this point here.
Sorry to resurrect this now, I needed a few days to find time to research exactly what planing is supposed to mean. I think it's interesting and would be enjoy reading a discussion about it, although it's arguable that I'd have anything valuable to offer as a NOOB. When you first mentioned planing, though, it reminded me of a few times when I've been riding my bike when it felt like I was hydroplaning, or maybe "up on the step" as seaplane pilots call it. Basically, the combination of resistance and exertion was such that I could ride efficiently, comfortably, and quickly, and felt like it was infinitely sustainable. Maybe it should always feel like that :-/ I had to work harder to get up to the correct speed for that pace, but after I got there it felt like it became easier. Not exactly like I had broken through a wall because it was usually right at the beginning of a ride. I dunno. Maybe I was imagining things, or got too much sleep. Seems like quite a different thing than planing as you are referring to it. I can't remember now where I read about it, maybe BQ?