pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by providencebikes
this is really a winter question its a road bike cold weather riding question , but should i just go with SPD peddles because it seems there are more options all year round ???
If you have never ridden with clipless pedals and want to use them, go with 2-bolt SPD. The double sided pedal is much easier for beginners, and there is nothing wrong with SPD pedals on a road bike until you are comfortable enough with them to switch.

The only benefits to a 3-bolt pedal is it's lighter and generally a laterally more stable/secure platform for hard efforts, more so out of the saddle. Depending on how old they are, both of those pedal sets you have are nice and I'd personally hold onto them for later. If the 105's are the newer design with the wide platform like the Ultegra and Dura-Ace, I had a pair of those that I rode for about 1/2 a decade and loved them, and Keo blades are supposed to be excellent pedals as well.

Regarding which boot, I would google for reviews on the boots and try to get a feel for what people who have actually worn the boots say. I personally have a pair of Northwave winter boots. I bought them 1/2 to 1 size big explicitly to use with heavier "mountaineering" socks. I also make a point to try to keep my legs as warm as possible. No point in wearing winter boots if you're losing all the heat getting blood down to your feet.