Old 12-02-17, 04:06 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
I use Command Shifters. I have 2 bikes with bar ends on. One with DT shifters and I have a set of brifters that I'm not using...

I don't particularly care for DT shifters. Never have. I prefer bar ends to DT shifters. You can still maintain control the bike while shifting with bar ends- especially when coming to a stop.

Brake levers and brifters are naturally in a much more vulnerable position just being perched on top of the front of the bars. One would be hard pressed to find a well ridden bike without some damage to the levers, however, there are many many well ridden bikes with no damage to the rear derailleur or derailleur hanger. While that position is uncovered- it is not as open and vulnerable as the brake levers. Even a fall to the drive side has the crank to strike the ground/pavement first. Brifters have (somewhat) complex workings that just are exposed on the front of the bars that will be the first portion of the bike to strike the ground. Both DT shifters and bar ends are more robustly designed than any brifters I've seen.

Command Shifters mount inboard of the brake levers, they're not only protected from impacts by the levers, but also by the curves of the bars. You have the freedom to choose whatever lever style you like with Command Shifters. You can also dump a whole 10 speed cassette in the flick of your thumb. I don't know why you'd want to do that, but you can.

As far as the OPs bike- it's a pretty bike. I'm really surprised it's shifting reliably. The chain is really short, the housings are excessively long and poorly routed and I'm shocked that Accushift shifters are indexing on a Campagnolo mixed system. You should be able to put brifters on there- I don't see any reason not to.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.