Old 12-02-17, 06:30 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
It's mind boggling to me that you think bar end, stem and downtube shifters are extinct. They're still being sold new by a few companies.

You don't have to like them, it's nice to have choices.
Not only that, there are still a few production bikes you can buy brand new with bar ends.

They're not for everyone, but like any component a rider has to give him or herself a chance to get the hang of using them. Someone told me they'd put a set on and rode for a couple miles and decided they "hated 'em." Jeez. A couple miles?

I have a pair on my Carre and I really like how handy they are when riding in the drops. It's not a big deal to reach down to shift, which I do intuitively with the palm of my hand to push down, and a finger to pull up. As for DT shifters being "extinct"... I beg to differ. They are my preferred shifting mechanism and I've got 'em on most of my bikes. I far prefer them over shifters integrated into the brake levers. But vive la difference! We all have our preferences.