View Single Post
Old 12-03-17, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Here's an example of a dangerous close call. Cyclist in bike lane was hit by bus passing too closely.

Source:
www.facebook.com/BicycleInfrastructureIndustrialComplex/posts/1313176512120821
It is hard to say what transpired. That bike lane doesn't look like it is the standard width of a bike lane. Rather a simple road shoulder that had bike symbols painted on it. I don't see anything that would preclude the community from widening the road by say 4 feet to expand the two bike lanes to a more appropriate width. Perhaps widening it ever further because the vehicle traffic lanes may also be undersized.

Without more context, one can't determine whether or not the bus and bike actually made contact. I wonder if that was a panic crash instead.

One of the issues with close passes is that what is fine for a 5' wide passenger car becomes unacceptably close for a bus or truck that is 8'6" wide (plus a few feet of mirrors on both sides), and 30+ feet long. The road above looks straight, but truck and trailer rear wheels often don't track behind the front wheels on corners.

I was just passed yesterday on a narrow bridge by one of those 6' vehicles pulling an 8' trailer , with an oncoming car pass. It was all over before I realized it, but I have to wonder if the driver forgot that he was pulling a trailer that was wider than his vehicle.