View Single Post
Old 12-03-17, 07:55 PM
rachel120

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
When I hear a cyclist complain about close passes I know they either don't use a mirror or they do use one but still ride in fear hugging the curb or road edge.
I have and use a mirror. I look in it very often, as I want to be aware of who is behind me and how far away and how fast they are approaching at all times. People here have made fun of me because I admit I count the cars behind me. I ride on a four lane divided highway where every left turn and every right turn has a dedicated lane. I take the lane, I'm riding dead center of the right straight lane at all times.

And I still get close passes. Sometimes it's people being stupid and deciding the fastest way around me is the dedicated right turn lane and they have to get back out of it fast before the turn happens and the turn lane vanishes. (I had one guy pass me on the right where there was absolutely no one in the left straight lane, and then he got into the left turn lane. ) Sometimes it's people being mean and clearly making a statement by straddling the line and passing me closely, cutting into the right straight lane far too close and then 10 feet later move into the left straight lane. Sometimes it's people who probably aren't paying attention because they pass normally but then cut back into the lane far too close rather than waiting a few more seconds to give a little more room between my front tire and the corner of their bumper.

Are close passes dangerous? I think so. Yes, if everything continues with mathematical precision there won't be accidental contact. But chaos theory applies and both the motorist and the cyclist may have to make a sudden move due to road conditions, or even an unanticipated drift due to inattention. The more room given, the far less likely an adjustment to positioning is going to end up making contact.