View Single Post
Old 12-04-17, 12:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Of course, a better answer is to just slow one's pace and increase one's vigilance when evasion to the left is impossible. (Rather than throw a hand grenade, just be observantly patient, and wait for the enemy to leave).
I don't follow you. I am talking of a spoke-like wire extending 18" to the left of my body that would scrape the paint of any car choosing to pass me that close. Slowing and waiting? Going out of my way to increase the car's closing speed so he can hit me harder (or scrape his paint worse? How does that help? And evasion to the left? I'm supposed to swerve into the car's path. Again, how does that help me? (I ride in the United States.)

And I am not throwing anything. This would only affect cars that choose to pass me inside 18" from my body. That is way inside the 3' required in a lot of states and I suspect any mothers in an Oregon jury wold probably agree that is does not qualify as a safe pass of their son or daughter.

Ben