Old 12-04-17, 08:27 AM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
FYI I just saw on facebook that people are getting it too, the exact same message as you but on Samsung. This leads me to think it's not me but rather a virus from here but I bet it's some sort of spam to force you to buy an app.
I understand the way you're thinking, however, the main point to consider;
It ONLY OCCURS when visiting the bikeforums.net web site.

It's not just Samsung devices. Some have reported scam pop-ups using apple devices, and a few months ago I was frequently getting the "Congratulations.. you won.." pop-up using an Ipad II. I stopped using the Ipad, switched to the Samsung tablet and it started getting the Four Virus alert.

Again, I want to emphasize, it ONLY happens when visiting BIKEFORUMS, therefore imho, the pop-up is tagged/triggered from the Bikeforums.

So, while I agree with your thinking the pop-up is taking advantage of certain devices, I think the pop-up itself is embedded into the bikeforums web site acting on specific devices where there's a weakness in the pop-up blocking. If the pop-up was a valid advertisement it wouldn't be as annoying (for lack of better words), but, these pop-ups are scams bordering on malware.