RecceDG
Token Canadian

Bikes: Cervelo S1, Norco Faze 1 SL, Surly Big Dummy, Moose Fatbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Yeah but the best thing about FB trash talk is you never have to back it up.

0-60 times and skidpad numbers are stats that don't always necessarily translate into a car that's faster on a track. You'd have to hand them off to some race car driver and see how fast each car could lap a track like Laguna Seca. Despite that race car's impressive numbers, the Stingray might still be faster on a track, the C7 has proven to be kind of amazingly fast around a race course, you can look it up.
Heh. I finished out my racing career as the engineer for a Corvette team (C5). I know C5s inside and out. Pratt & Miller's shop was just down the road, and I used to raid their old spares & takeoffs for our team. I still have Solidworks files for things like suspension pickup points, adapters to mount AP Brakes master cylinders to the OEM pedal box - stuff like that.

And I absolutely concur that the C5-C6-C7 series are *very* well designed and are *far* faster for the price than they should be. I get asked for a lot of car advice, and most any kid that comes to me with plans to hotrod his [whatever] I tell to buy a Corvette instead - he'll go faster and it is ultimately cheaper in the long run.

But my Talon was a horse of an entirely different colour. That thing was pretty much a Group B rally car (it should be - that's what I was modelling it on). In 2005 it was more than a match for a C5 Z06. In 2017... it would be underpowered compared to some of the more exotic C7s, but that problem would be rectified with a turbo and a new set of fuel injectors. That car was a BEAST.

Like those lateral G numbers - those aren't skidpad numbers. Those are live numbers taken from the data system from recordings during races.

The Stealth, once I'm done, will make ~450 HP at the wheels. But it will still be 3700 lbs, McStrut suspension, and nose-heavy. It'll compare well to non-Zo6 C5, and will have better all-weather performance, but it won't be C7 territory. The bones of the chassis just aren't there - which is kind of the point, because if the bones *were* there, I'd be tempted to try, and here we go again....