Old 12-07-17, 04:53 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
That's probably something different. Shifting gets softer as the G-springs wear and when they break or wear too far the shifters don't stay in gear, especially with larger cogs.

If you can't shift multiple cogs larger I'd suspect a problem with the front ratchet pawl not engaging correctly. With the 1992-1997 levers it has a tiny baby spring not sold separately from the paddle. 2009+ Ultra Shift levers use the main paddle return spring. I don't know what levers do between those times.

You probably want to replace G-springs and carrier as long as you have the lever apart because they are wear items, although they're not your (only) problem.

@gfk_velo runs the Campagnolo UK service center and probably has useful comments on what's going on.
I was suspecting the ratchet pawl after watching the Campy video on this overhaul. I'll get the whole lot of parts if I can find them. I really hope I don't run into problems, though, because I absolutely love the Campy 10-speed Ergo drivetrain/performance. I have another bike with Campy 11-speed that is only a couple of years old; I like the 10-speed better.

Thanks again!